From the moment the Wright brothers performed their historic feat in 1903, the interest in aviation began to captivate the imagination and desire for adventure of many Dominicans, and by 1909 there were serious projects for the construction of an aircraft in the city. de La Vega as described in the chronicles of the time.
On April 10, 1919, from the city of San Pedro de Macorís from the National Army Shooting Range, 4 planes left for Santo Domingo.
In 1927 in the city of Barahona, a city located in the southwest of the country, the first Dominican airline was organized, bearing the name West Indian Aerial Express. That same year, the airline carried out two round-trip experimental flights to Port Au Prince, Haiti, demonstrating the ability to unite the two parts of the island with Cuba. At the end of that same year, it began operations with an established itinerary to San Juan, Puerto Rico and Puerto Principe.
On February 6, 1928, CHARLES LINDBERGH arrived in Santo Domingo after touring part of Central America and the Caribbean, taking airmail from Cuba for the WEST INDIAN AERIAL EXPRESS, being the only time that his famous plane “Espíritu de San Luis” , was used for commercial purposes. With the assistance to the signing of the Convention on International Aviation, in the Sixth International American Conference, held on February 15, 1928, in the city of Havana, Cuba, the Dominican Government, demonstrated its great interest in Civil Aviation Around the year 1932, and by order of the then President of the Republic, a series of measures were taken aimed at the development of Air Navigation Services in the country, as a consequence Resolution No. 314, of the National Congress, which approves the subscription to the Convention on Commercial Aviation.
On November 12, 1937, the PAN AMERICAN FLIGHT began, in which 3 Cuban planes called SANTA MARÍA, LA PINTA, and LA NIÑA participated, and for the Dominican Republic, the COLON, a Curtis Wright, whose mission was to promote the lighthouse that in Santo Domingo it was going to be built in homage to the discoverer of America. In Cali, Colombia, this flight had a fatal outcome with the accident of the 3 Cuban aircraft, returning only the COLON piloted by Major Frank Felíz Miranda. who was one of the first two Dominican pilots to graduate from Cuba in 1931.
On July 1, 1944, the National Flag Airline, Dominicana de Aviación, emerged with three Ford trimotor aircraft, and by 1951, a Dominican, already a member of the Chicago Convention, began its flights within the Caribbean, to Curaçao, Caracas. and Puerto Rico, later to New York and Europe.
On December 7, 1944, the Dominican Republic signed the International Civil Aviation Convention or Chicago Convention, ratified by the National Congress on August 11, 1945, through Resolution No. 964, whose publication was made in the Official Gazette No. 6331, September 25, 1945; whose aims and objectives are to develop the principles and techniques of international air navigation and to promote the organization and development of international air transport.
Creation of the General Directorate of Civil Aeronautics
With the promulgation of Law No. 1915, dated January 28, 1949, the Aviation Bureau is created under the Secretary of State for War and Navy, with an Aeronautics Commission, attached to said negotiation, which, upon present, is the Civil Aeronautics Board. In that same year, Annex 1, Personnel Licenses, was ratified; called Regulation 6031 and Annex 2, Regulation of the Air; called Regulation 6030. Later, as a result of the visit of an ICAO technical mission, and following a series of recommendations emanating from “The II Air Navigation Conference of the Caribbean Region”, held in Havana, Cuba, In April 1955, the General Directorate of Aviation was created, through the enactment of Law No. 4119 dated April 22, 1955, and said institution is designated as a technical and specialized agency dependent on the Secretary of State for War, Navy and Aviation. Also under the auspices of ICAO, the Flight Information Center was created in 1956, which, together with information from other countries and specialized agencies, provides much of the security required by aeronautical operations.
On November 10, 1969, the National Congress issued Law No. 505, which specifies the powers of the Civil Aeronautics Board, and defines it as an advisory body to the Executive Power, which will be in charge of Higher Policy. of Civil Aviation in the Dominican Republic, and also provided that the General Directorate of Civil Aviation, a specialized technical body, would be called the General Directorate of Civil Aeronautics and that it be subordinate to the Executive Power.